Perhaps due to the focus on treating cellulite, many people tend to think of it as a disease. But this could not be further from the truth. Cellulite is a name given to normal body fat found just under the skin. This fat pushes up against the skin’s connective tissue, creating small bumps on the surface of the skin. Cellulite is not harmful and does not always signify that you are overweight. Even slim people get it. However, your lifestyle could affect the presence and severity of cellulite. Even though cellulite marks are completely harmless, many people would love to get rid of them for cosmetic reasons. Though there is no official cure for cellulite, there are steps you could take to reduce it or even eliminate it altogether.
As mentioned, cellulite is basically body fat. One of the best ways to shed excess body fat is through exercise. As you engage in a regular exercise routine, there is less fat to mar your skin’s smooth perfection. But fat burning exercise is not enough in getting rid of cellulite. One reason why cellulite appears more in older individuals, especially women, is the loss of muscle.
Muscle tissue under the skin ensures that subcutaneous fat maintains its shape. As this muscle mass is lost with age, or lack of exercise, the fat slowly loses its shape. Since you cannot get rid of all your body fat, there will always be fat under your skin causing cellulite even after a lot of cardio.
Here is where a second solution comes in, strength training. This focuses on building and maintaining muscle mass and in the process, helping your skin regain its smooth, turgid feel and look.
To burn fat, engage in cardio exercises such as cycling, swimming, running and rope skipping. For strength training, target areas that have the most cellulite. For most people, these are thighs. Squats and lunges can help build muscles in the thigh and leg areas. If cellulite appears on your arms, try some weight lifting.
2. Healthy diet
A healthy diet is an obvious step if you are planning to lose weight. In fact, it is the most effective way to lose weight. Start by watching the type of food you eat. Cut out processed and junk foods, to cut down drastically on calories. Reducing your carb intake will also be helpful in losing weight quickly. Load up on healthy proteins, plenty of fruits and vegetables and adequate water.
In addition to changing your general diet, you might also want to include specific foods that are particularly helpful in cellulite removal. A few examples include;
• Salmon – It is full of antioxidants, which help to break down cellulite fat cells. Omega-3 fatty acids present in salmon also help in skin repair.
• Foods rich in vitamin C – vitamin C foods such as broccoli, peppers, kiwis and citrus foods can prove very helpful in fighting cellulite. The vitamin C in them has been found effective in strengthening the skin’s connective tissue. This prevents the fat underneath from pushing up against it and causing cellulite marks on the skin’s surface.
• Foods rich in healthy fats – eating fat to get rid of fat may sound a bit nonsensical. But research has found that unsaturated fat is a good weapon against cellulite. Look for foods that are high in Omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids such as the above mentioned salmon. Other good fatty foods to eat are walnuts, avocado and sunflower oil.
• Healthy proteins – when the connective tissue in the skin weakens, it encourages the formation of cellulite. One way to re-strengthen this tissue is eating proteins. After all, the sin is itself protein. Go for healthy proteins like lean chicken, white fish, legumes, cottage cheese and Greek yogurt.
• Green tea – green tea contains components that drive up metabolism, thus boosting fat burning. It also works to dehydrate fat cells, which can reduce the amount of cellulite.
3. Cellulite creams
There are various cellulite creams you can use, in addition to exercise and healthy dieting, to get rid of cellulite. When shopping for cellulite creams, look for those that contain caffeine and retinol. These two ingredients are very effective in treating cellulites. Caffeine shrinks fat cells, thus lowering fat volume. By applying caffeine-containing cream directly on the affected areas, you can successfully target the problematic fat cells.
Retinol has even more evidence backing its use in anti-cellulite creams. Continuous use of retinol-containing cream has been found to increase the amount of collagen in the skin. Collagen is another name for the connective tissue in the skin. As collagen increases, the skin becomes tighter and thicker which in turn, reduces the appearance of cellulite marks.
4. Regular massage
Massaging has also been recommended by experts as a way to get rid of cellulite. But to get the benefits of a massage, it is best to seek the services of a professional rather than doing it yourself. In a certain massage treatment for cellulite, professionals make use of rollers and suction to massage the skin. The aim is to improve blood circulation, increase the strength of the connective tissue and break down the stubborn fat cells causing cellulite marks on the skin.
5. Medical treatments
If after trying all the above you see little or no effect, you can consider undergoing more serious medical treatments. It is important to understand that they may hold more health risks for you. In most cases however, they produce a noticeable effect.
There are a wide range of technologies that doctors can use to treat cellulite. Some make use of radio wave energy, others use lasers and others direct sound waves towards the skin. Laser and radio waves create a heating effect, helping to melt the fat underneath the skin.
Most of these treatments will require repeated sessions.
If the cellulite fails to go or keeps on reappearing even after trying all the above ways to get rd of cellulite, it is time to consider the hereditary factor. Some people, and mostly women, inherit a tendency for subcutaneous fat deposition. In such cases, no amount of treatment will get rid of the condition completely. Using cosmetics can help to hide most of the marks.
If you are serious about getting rid of cellulite, visit Truth About Cellulite Now for your copy of a twenty minute exercise program which is guaranteed to get rid of your cellulite in two weeks.